Friday, November 14, 2008

Religions

This post isn't about my church. I have a whole other blog for talking about my church (which you are welcome to read at any given time and I will probably post there when I'm done here becaause I haven't done that in awhile).
Since everyone else and their dog has had something to say about them, this post is about my view of religious groups worldwide. I'm studying them in geography, so of course I'm staring to obtain my own opinions and feelings about the whole thing.
First off, what Price told us about Christians...my church is so much different from that.
In fact, I have a whole theory about what's right. I just don't know if it's right, but it makes sense to me. (Maybe that's what I'll post about on my other blog...but don't take it as true church doctrine.)
And so then I thought that maybe...maybe what he's telling us doesn't do the other churches justice either.
Like for reals...he said that Christ and his twelve desciples started Christianity. HA! No way. Christ did not start Christianity (in the way he explained it). The Bible starts long before Christ was born. It starts in the beginning. They tell us about Adam and Eve, for crying out loud. And it tells us about ancient prophets, who testify of Christ's coming. Long before Christ is even born.
So how, then, did Christ start Christianity on earth? When He wasn't even here when the prophets first testified of his coming?

Anyway. I think I'm getting a little too religious. This blog can be the equivilant of "state," my other blog being "church." So I have to keep the separation of church and state.

So back to geography...
The Jewish I was pretty knowledgable in already. I know about then and they're basic beliefs and stuff. Not too incredibly different from Christianity...
And then getting into all the other religions...
Well, let's just say I think all the Buddhist and Hindus and such are cool and all. But I wouldn't say they are right.
And I really hate how they make my think. Like "oh,wouldn't it be cool to be that relgion?" Because no. I really love my church and I consider it to be the true church.
But part of my church is to allow others to worship how they want to.

And then when Price was explaining how the last few on the big paper were more like philosophies than religions and that you could be like Christian and Confucios, I laughed (well, at least I was on the inside).
If you've ever seen Sons of Provo (really funny show, but it's kinda LDS, so if you're not Mormon it would probably be kind of confusing) you'd know why I thought this was funny.
Danny (in the movie) is part Buddhist. And he has this book (that he calls his inspirationif I'm not wrong) called Mormons Can be Buddhists, Too. On the cover is a picture of a Sphinx, except with Brigham Young's head. It's really funny when he's talking about his beliefs.

And I think that's all for now.

P.S. I'm failing art! Amazing what two missing assignments (worth 100 and 25 points) can do to your grade this early in the term... But english is back up to like a B...

And apology for the length of this post. I didn't really want to get into some of the things I did.

No comments: